The Soapbox Papers

The Soapbox Papers is my two-cents worth.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin, United States

I am a cross between Tinkerbell and Calamity Jane.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Today's Topic is ...

Yep -- today I am writing about toilet paper.




I don't know anything about its history, and I have no idea what folks did before it came along - it's just always been there for me. Those of us who have enjoyed it all our lives consider it a necessity, right up there with bread and water and soap.

I remember reacting to a large jump in the price of toilet paper, I think it was somewhere around 20 - 25 years ago, by writing to the company of the brand I used. I told them not to forget that they were selling a "one-use throw-away product."

Enter the 1990s and the creation of the double roll. I clearly see the attempt of the industry to hold down costs in making these, and they were handier than ever. It held the price to minimal changes for some time.

Now the Toilet Paper Industry is trying its best again to keep the price the same for a longer period of time. The rolls aren't getting smaller. In fact, I have seen one company go to triple rolls, even offering an extension to fit over the standard rod in the toilet paper holder so the larger size would fit. No - many, many companies have reduced the size of each sheet of toilet paper. It varies now from 4.27 X 4.0 inches to a larger 4.5 X 4.0 inches. I don't know when this started. Early on changes, if there were any, were far more subtle than now. I noticed. There is currently a whole inch of play room in the rod of my toilet paper holder.

Much depends on the brand, of course, and the size of each sheet is on the package, usually on the lower right of the front of the wrapper.

File this in the "In case you were wondering" file.



|

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home