The Soapbox Papers

The Soapbox Papers is my two-cents worth.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin, United States

I am a cross between Tinkerbell and Calamity Jane.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Dark Waters


It was like learning to dive
before learning to swim,
fear the first emotion

Years later
the mother would mention
in casual conversation
how she'd go down the block
in the middle of the night
until she couldn't hear the baby
crying anymore.

When she had grandchildren
the mother used to say
how babies only cry out of need,
even if the need
is to not be alone in the dark.

So I learned how to dive
before learning to swim.
I floundered, I splashed.
I learned how to float.
I made it.

It wasn’t pretty and
there was no applause.
Dark waters run deep.

I guess you had to be there.



Copyright ©2002 Smokey Combs

All rights reserved

|

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

<< Home